Miniature Ordnance Review looks at the world of miniatures wargaming with an emphasis on 15mm World War II and Flames of War.

Sunday, September 11, 2016

Arado 234 - Done!!!

So turns out that today was a good day to get work done after all. I managed to get the Arado pretty much completed. I ended up pulling back out my light box to take some photos that really give you a sense of the shading.


Top view - you can really see some of the black and white shading.


This view gives you a little hint of the bombs underneath the engines, but in case you think I was slacking off, the bottom is fully detailed as well!


Actually getting between the engines and the fuselage was a real pain in the butt, but it ended up looking pretty good.


For my first aircraft in literally years, I'm very happy with the little beast. Should be a fun tournament, if anti-aircraft fire doesn't ruin its day!

The Arado 234 in Flames of War

I have a tournament coming up at Guardian Games this weekend, and I'd hoped to get my Japanese army together for it, but I've been way too busy to finish painting it. So I'm therefore going to revive my 510 Schwere Panzerabteilung army from a previous tournament. The only problem is the point values are different, so I had to do a little rejiggering of the list.

To that end I've added an Arado 234 (AC015). This was a amazing light bomber that saw combat in the waning months of the war. I'd picked one up ages ago, but it had been sitting on my shelf for just such an emergency!

I wanted to try something a little different this time for the painting, so I went with the Ammo of MIG Black and White technique. This means I didn't need to highlight and panel shade every individual color - instead I did all of the shading ahead of time and then used thinned colors for the topcoat. I've been using Testors masking tape to complete the hard-edged camouflage scheme.


The photo above shows the current status. bit sadly lacks the contrast you need to really get a strong sense of the shading at this point. I still need to complete the final weathering as well, but if all else fails (read if my schedule continues to go to Hades in a handbasket), it is "good enough" to go as is.

I'll post more photos once I've finished up this little beast. It went together easily, though it needed some clean up, and has painted well.

Edit: You can see the finished bird here