Miniature Ordnance Review looks at the world of historical and fantasy miniatures wargaming and model building. From 15mm Flames of War, to Warhammer 40K, to 1/35th scale tanks, with some potential surprises on the horizon - you'll find them here!

Sunday, June 24, 2018

Fate of a Nation - 1967, 1973, or Both - Israeli Forces

First I'll apologize for my forced absence. Things have been more than a little crazy in my world and while I've been working on miniatures a bit, the craft room has been a little quiet these days. That being said, unless you've been under a rock you will have seen the release of the new Fate of a Nation set of rules from Battlefront/Osprey. I'm credited as having contributed "additional writing" in this particular book, and this time around it amounted to writing and updating a lot of the historical background as well as the unit flavor text.

As Battlefront was trying to create a fairly unified set of rules that would be compatible with 'Nam - in effect creating "Early War" Team Yankee - no distinction was made between kit or formations which were used only in 1967 or 1973. The goal was to create one game, not two. That being said, where information was readily available I tried to highlight equipment or formations which were used exclusively in either the Six Day War or the Yom Kippur/October War as I know many players would like to focus their force (or at least differentiate camouflage schemes).

Unfortunately you have only so much space with which to work in a book of this type and some editing occurred along the way. So I've been going back through my notes to make as definitive as possible a list of what was used in each conflict. Starting with the Israelis, I've compiled it into an Excel file which I will update as I get more information.


As you can see, most of the Israeli infantry equipment was shared between the wars as the IDF budget was focused elsewhere (tanks, aircraft, etc.). Remember, this is just a guide at this point, I'll be continually trying to update and validate the list going forward. I'm also hoping to get some decent painting and marking guides available as well - so continue to watch this space!

14 comments:

  1. That's great, i hope bf links to these articles on their site.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds weird, but is there someone in the Public Relations Department of the IDF who you could reach out to and ask these questions to? I'm sure there are a few wargamers in the Israeli Military who might be willing to check for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny you should ask... I actually have some friends in Israel that I'm going to try and double check with...

      Delete
  3. Isreali Super Cub AOP, Magister and Vautour ground support were key in the 1967 Golan Heights fighting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately we don't get those options in the book... :-(

      That being said, I believe in PROXY...

      Delete
    2. The same with the F-4. Outnumbered other aircraft in 1973 and US sent more after severe losses to SAM umbrella.

      Delete
  4. A typical Israeli tank company has 11 tanks; 3 platoons of 3 tanks each, and 2 tanks in the Co HQ. We have information that the Co CDR AFV ID is the letter "Z", we've been told. Does anyone know what alpha-numeric code designates the 2iC in the 2nd HQ AFV?!?

    ReplyDelete
  5. BTW, hi Darrell . . . funny meeting you here!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Incidentally, it's "Israeli", not "Isreali"!!! Just sayin'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay - I've been through the post twice... granted it's late... where's my typo?

      Delete
    2. Fingolfen!
      Any idea about my original post inquiring about Israeli tank company CDR and 2iC tank ID's?!?

      Delete
  7. I reached out to the Military Museum in Cairo and they said Egypt won the war!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would indicate TOW as yellow as it appears it only arrived in any numbers after the Chinese Farm battle .

    ReplyDelete
  9. Not you Fingolfen, it was D. Hartsig's post which is no longer there?!? So, never mind!

    ReplyDelete