Miniature Ordnance Review looks at the world of historical and fantasy miniatures wargaming and model building. From 15mm Flames of War, to Warhammer 40K, to 1/35th scale tanks, with some potential surprises on the horizon - you'll find them here!

Wednesday, January 1, 2020

Happy New Year - Year in Review and Plans for 2020!

Happy New Year to everyone who takes the time to read this blog. I hope this next year will be joyous and productive for everyone! Every year I try to take a few minutes to reflect on the previous year and lay out some thoughts of what I may be working on for the next year. I didn't really do much of a "year end" retrospective for 2019, but I vowed to do better this time around!


If you'd asked me last January what I thought I'd be spending most of 2019 working on, I would have projected Flames of War mid-war. Indeed I've started on a couple of armies, but for various reasons, they've languished. I have both a Stalingrad and a Kursk army I'm working on, but I wasn't happy with the painting on the Kursk force, so until I decide what to do with those particular models, I likely won't be making a lot of progress on that front. Flames of War mid-war took a while to get enough variety to peak my interest, and there are still some gaps (minor nations, Italian forces in Sicily) that I'd like to see filled. Flames of War then moved on to D-Day, and I've actually started working on an old Festungskompanie as well as digging back out my 21. Panzer-Division models to spruce up and get back on the table. I don't have a firm timeline for these, but the plan is to work on them in between other projects. I'm also still writing some for Flames of War and Team Yankee, so keep an eye on that inner cover!


If you've been reading my blog recently, you'll have noticed that I've gotten back into painting Warhammer 40K miniatures in a big way. There's a couple of reasons for this. First, my son has finally gotten to an age where he is getting into the game - he's painting Tau. Second, I'm really loving the Genestealer Cult army. It lets me combine some really interesting alien figures with what at a casual glance appears to be vanilla Imperial Guard. It has also let me develop my weathering and face painting techniques to a point where I'm getting reasonably proficient. The local Warhammer store also runs a monthly painting competition, and I've been entering those with regularity (I've even managed to pick up a couple of awards along the way). My big goal for this year is to assemble and paint a large Armies on Parade display with multiple levels that tells the story of the Cult uprising and the Imperium's desperate attempt to stop them. The competition is in October, so watch this space for more details as they become available!


So apart from the Armies on Parade, I'm not making any absolutely firm plans on what "must be done" this year, but I do have a list of things I'd like to work on:
  • Armies on Parade:
    • Key Genestealer Units:
      • Tectonic Fragdrill
      • More Brood Brothers Infantry
      • Biophagus 
      • Finish several in-progress tanks
      • Neophyte Hybrids
      • Hybrid Metamorphs
      • Whatever else I can get done!
    • Imperial Units:
      • Ordo Xenos Inquisitor
      • Kill Team Cassius
      • Palatine Enforcers
    • Terrain - (oh so much terrain)
  • Flames of War / Team Yankee
    • D-Day Festungskompanie
    • Refresh 21. Panzer-Division
    • Finally finish my East German Team Yankee army
    • Circle back and finish my Kursk army with Ferdinands and support!
So there you have it. It's a fairly modest list, and how much I actually get done really depends on how much time I get to just work. With a son actively involved in Boy Scouts as well as other work projects, time off is more precious than the One Ring to Sméagol. That being said, my son is starting to show more interest in painting, and is even going to enter his first painting competition this month, so here's hoping!

Thanks again for your continued interest and support of the blog, and I hope all of you have an amazing New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment