Miniature Ordnance Review looks at the world of historical and fantasy miniatures wargaming and model building. From 15mm Flames of War, to Warhammer 40K, to 1/35th scale tanks, with some potential surprises on the horizon - you'll find them here!

Thursday, December 24, 2020

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!!!

Regardless of what holidays you celebrate at this time of year, I just wanted to take time out and hope everyone has a great one despite the challenges wrought by the pandemic this year. I firmly believe this is a year many of us will always remember, though in many ways we'd rather forget it. It has been full of unexpected challenges and disappointments, more tragedies than triumphs, and has truly tested all of us to the breaking point. 


There is, however, a veneer or normalcy. Last year at this time I was working on the Red Gobbo miniature for the annual Holiday painting competition at the local Warhammer store. I managed to get a "best painted" for the little guy, and he still graces my gaming room in his own little protective case. This year the competition miniature is the fun new Jakkob Bugmansson XI. I just managed to pick up the last one that Warhammer Hillsboro had in stock and will post photos of the finished miniature once I get the photos into the local store for the virtual competition.


Speaking of virtual competitions, Armies on Parade happened this year, but not exactly how I was expecting. As I mentioned earlier this month, given the virtual nature of the competition and the fact that GW itself was doing the judging I figured it would turn into Golden Demon, take 2. Which if you've seen the quality of the entries of the winners, that was indeed the case. I'm going to have to say I was more than a little disappointed that they didn't try to spread more love around with honorable mentions or additional categories. If this had been a normal year then there would have been winners at every store (and each store will generally get <30 entries), and I think at least parts of my board compared favorably to the honorable mention group. I was also disappointed that there was no Youngblood level as the kids had no chance this year to get any positive reinforcement.

Here's hoping for a better 2021! Stay safe everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment