Miniature Ordnance Review looks at the world of historical and fantasy miniatures wargaming and model building. From 15mm Flames of War, to Warhammer 40K, to 1/35th scale tanks, with some potential surprises on the horizon - you'll find them here!

Wednesday, November 27, 2019

Genestealer Cult - Brood Brothers Reinforcements

Over the last few weeks in the background I've been working on a few new models for my Brood Brothers detachment for the Genestealer Cult. I started with the Forgeworld resin Cadian Command HQ Squad and for the most part performed a head swap on them. I went a bit further with the officer as I wanted to retain the field telephone - so carving out that resin took a fair amount of work.


I also took of the aquila on the power fist for the officer and replaced it with a genestealer cult symbol from one of the upgrade sprues. Most of the troopers in addition to getting a head swap also received some  cult gear and icons from the sprue as well (just in case their loyalty was ever questioned!).


The cult decals are once again courtesy of Scumb4g Kustoms. Once again, if you're not using this guy's decals, you're selling yourself way short! One of the best custom decal makers I've worked with, and I've worked with several! The diamonds are from the Cadian Shock Troops box, though I cut them down a little bit because I thought they were a bit large.

I found this set to be interesting because it included a Master Vox communications array, which honestly I'm not sure you can even use these days, but it looks cool - so it got painted in 4BO green with pre-shading like the tanks and other equipment. I put it on a large base with a disused keypad again because I thought it looked cool.


I also ended up picking up a Master of Ordnance from the Regimental Advisors set. This set is truly old school as the figures are still pewter! Because they were pewter, it took a bit to remove the head to perform the swap for the Master of Ordnance, and I needed up having to remake the field phone with some green putty and wire.


I was pretty pleased with the end result though. The miniature painted up very well, but you have to be extremely careful as even the best paint can easily chip on metal - and that goes double for any contrast paints!


I included a shot with his "friend" above - my Sanctus conversion. From this photo you can see just how large that miniature is, so no one can accuse me of modeling for advantage! All of these were painted using the same techniques I've detailed before on my other Brood Brothers figures, so nothing new to report on that front! I have a couple more fun squads in progress I'm hoping to get done in the next couple of weeks, so stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment