Miniature Ordnance Review looks at the world of historical and fantasy miniatures wargaming and model building. From 15mm Flames of War, to Warhammer 40K, to 1/35th scale tanks, with some potential surprises on the horizon - you'll find them here!

Thursday, November 13, 2014

Ammo of MIG's Painting Wargame Tanks - Mini-Review!

So I just got my copy of Painting Wargame Tanks in direct from Ammo of MIG in Spain, and believe me this is one volume you don't want to miss! Written by Rubén Torregrosa (from HeresyBrush) and Mig Jiménez himself, this is an indispensable guide for people who really want to take their Wargaming tanks to the next level.

The book itself is well organized. It opens with an introduction and then moves quickly into the materials you'll need to actually need to apply the techniques described in the book. As this is an Ammo of MIG publication, all of the paints are listed from the Ammo of MIG catalog. However the technique also requires airbrushes, high quality brushes, and artist oil paints outside of the traditional MIG range. 

The techniques themselves are broken up into into "Easy" and "Advanced" sections (though there's a typo in the table of contents describing the "Seasy" method). The methods are described step by step with full color photos using several actual 15mm miniatures - most of which appear to be Plastic Soldier Company and Heer 46. Regardless of which technique is used, each step includes icons showing which tools to use and which paints or other products to use.  I've taken a couple of photos of pages below showing what you can expect:



The book is heavily skewed toward German subjects, but the general techniques will work for any vehicle in 15mm. While they recommend blu-tac for masking, I prefer Panzer Putty as it seems to adhere better and hold its shape better than the blu-tac I've been able to secure in the United States. I would also have like to have seen a couple of examples in winter camouflage as my recent experience with the Tigers was fairly challenging, and I could have used some input!  I would also like to see the techniques expanded to earlier riveted tanks, as these typically require a bit more drybrushing ant other techniques.

That being said, I really believe that this book will let me take my tanks to the next level. I've already seen easier ways to achieve some of the results I've been working toward, and I plan on using the T-34 section as an exemplar for a few upcoming Soviet tank projects. 

Highly recommended!!!

4 comments:

  1. I'm happy you like the book!, I have neever used Panzer Putty, but it's in my whislist :). About winter camouflage and early war tanks...let see :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! Awesome book!

      Panzer Putty should be a little easier to get in Europe than it is here in the states. I only found one mail order shop stocking it over here so far. It's absolutely amazing stuff!

      Would love to see your tips and tricks for the various winter schemes. I did a "band" scheme on some Tigers and a recovery half track recently... I think it came out pretty decently.

      Delete
  2. Yeah, I saw and I really like the camo and the final effects. In my case, I have only painted once a winter camo, and the results wasn't so nice...but it's something I want to fix!

    Regards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hardest part for me with the winter whitewash was modulating the white - it seemed to work well over the gray because the gray provided a natural "shadow" effect. I think it would be harder to modulate a white partial coat over the panzer dark yellow - the various red browns and greens may be easier.

      Delete