Given I'm planning a unit of three vehicles, I wanted to provide it with some variety. As I mentioned before, the actual miniature itself is fairly nice, so I started with one just out of the box. The model goes together nicely with the standard amount of clean-up on the tracks and the Flakvierling.
The Nuts and Bolts work also shows some that have deleted the vision ports on the front sides of the hull, but retain the single muffler/exhaust layout. Figuring this would be simple enough to do, I just removed the ports, sanded the areas flat, and added a weld line for the front plate.
I also added zimmerit to the front and rear fenders using miliput as well. On the entire model, I had to replace many of the molded in details with scratch-built styrene copies. This includes the vision ports, jack block, and a few other minor details. I took the bins from the defective Wirbelwind miniature and added them directly to the Ausf H hull. The end result is a fairly convincing early production variant
The miniatures are now ready for priming. You'll note I've left the heads off of the crew - the guns themselves are also not permanently affixed yet either. I want to paint both of those separately before I glue them in place. I'm also working on several "updated" Sturmgeschutz III Ausf G for this army (I'll need a total of six), so watch this space for the insanity on that particular project.